Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Best Airplane Simulation Games - Flight Simulator Games Reviewed

For me, there is nothing like the feeling of flying an airplane. There's something about being up in the air and looking out onto the horizon, that exhilarates me in a way few other things do. So in my free time: when I'm not working or taking flying classes, I like to play flight simulator games on my computer. I've tried out a whole bunch over the years, and I decided to write this article to help those people looking for the best airplane simulation games out there.

The bad news is, as far as I know, there isn't a free flight simulator online or any strictly online airplane simulation games; unless you count the google flight simulator, which isn't that fun really.

I should say that I'm reviewing these airplane simulation games for their sense of realism. I'm not looking for fancy graphics or arcade style speeds, I'm looking for the closest thing I can get to flying in my computer chair. I'm also really more interested in airplane simulator games, as opposed to something like a helicopter flight simulator or jet simulator; although all these games have them and I do use them from time to time.

So here are some of the flight simulator games I've played:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Microsoft has always had a really fun line of flight simulator games, and this one is no different.

In terms of realism, it's OK, definitely not professional simulator quality, but a fun recreation. It's a game targeted at a general audience so it has a very arcade type feel to it and has a lot of "missions" and other activities to do: You can race friends online, there's search and rescue missions, etc.

The variety of planes and jets is pretty good, but the cockpits are definitely not 100% accurate, some look better than others, but some are just generic.

The only problem with this game is that it never really ran well on my computer. I have a slightly older computer and Microsoft really ratcheted up the graphics. It still worked though. I have read reviews online of people not being able to install the game but I never experienced that.

You can get a copy of this game online anywhere from Amazon to eBay.

Pro Flight Simulator

Pro Flight Simulator is currently my favorite flight simulator online. It's definitely not the prettiest flight simulator but there is nothing I've found yet that compares to the level of realism this game has. It is basically a flight school simulator recreated on your home computer.

It maps the entire globe - I wouldn't know if the scenery is 100% realistic but it seems pretty good to me - and it has a lot of real life airports. You can either set the simulator to the time of day and current weather conditions according to your computer clock, or you can just make them up and play with all the different combinations; it's hard to fly in a snow or lightening storm, but it's certainly fun.

It's also not only an airplane flight simulator, but a helicopter flight simulator, and a military jet simulator as well. You can also fly the 1903 Wright Flyer - it's not as fun as it sounds though. They also update the game pretty regularly with updated maps and more aircraft. The best part about the aircraft is they are 100% cockpit realistic, which none of the other games have.

The only downside to this game - other than it's looks; which can get a little ugly sometimes, is the price tag. The basic simulator is about the price of the other two games, but the world scenery package; which is much cooler, costs a little more. But keep in mind that you're buying an actual flight simulator, not just a game. I have paid hundreds of dollars to take flying classes that have simulators worse than this one, so it's really not that bad. It also runs pretty well on my computer, have never really had any problems.

You can get this game through their website and you can download it online. If you're really interested in flying, or thinking about taking flying classes, this is a great place to start.

X-Plane

X-Plane is a pretty fun flight simulator game as well. It's not only a airplane simulator game, but it has helicopters, jets, spy planes, and even the space shuttle (which you have to admit is pretty cool). The only downside to the selection of planes and jets is that none of them have realistic cockpits, they are all just generic models; which is kind of a bummer if you're looking for a more realistic simulation or learning experience.

This game, like Microsoft Flight Simulator is a little arcadey and marketed to a more general audience but it is really fun and much more realistic in the flying department than Microsoft's game. It's also not a very pretty game, but that really doesn't matter to me; It runs better than Microsoft's Flight Simulator does on the same computer and that's all that matters.

The other downside to this game is that the scenery is just generic, so you can't fly past any famous landmarks, it's just purely random scenery. That might be a letdown for some people, but it's not that bad.

The game also has a plane and part maker but I've never really touched them. I wouldn't dare try and make my own craft, I only fly them.

I find myself playing this game more often when I'm in the mood for a quick game of flying jets or trying the space shuttle out and not really so much an airplane simulation experience.

Well thanks for reading my reviews for some of the best airplane simulators online. See you guys in the sky.


0

No comments:

Post a Comment